Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Cage

Once we had the bunnies we really needed a permanent place for them to live. I started looking up bunny hutches to get an idea of what we wanted. I found a few things that I liked and didn't like and started creating a "dream bunny hutch" in my mind. The problem was they were all SO expensive. We watched KSL for a few days hoping to find something but nothing was coming up and the vacuum box the bunnies were living in just wasn't cutting it anymore. Trixie had learned how to escape and I was having to catch her and put her back about every hour.

Then I saw this bunny hutch...
It was perfect!! Everything I wanted. It had a top and bottom part. There was no wire mesh in the top part that the bunnies would have to walk on (that is really bad for rabbits feet and almost every cage we found was made with it) The only thing it didn't have was a slide out bottom on the top for easy cleaning. I was sold.... til I looked at the price... 230 dollars. WHAT? There was no way we were paying that much.

I showed Chris. We talked. He decided he was making it. And the next 12 hours were devoted to making a bunny hutch.

Chris decided to double the size of the cage. So the dimensions were 4 feet wide 5 feet long and 4 feet tall. We are lucky to have great neighbors down the street who own lots and lots of tools. A big thanks to the Bryners who made the cage possible.
We are also lucky that Lowes is literally only a few blocks away because I believe we made 6 Lowes trips that day.

I ran the chop saw all day.
Kaden was the board weight while daddy did the cutting.


Taycee loved the measuring tape and went around measuring everything.
Kaden eventually got tired of being dads board weight and decided to embark on a project of his own.
Getting closer!! I put all that fencing on by myself. I could barely move my hands the next day.

This was Kaden's finished project. He was quite proud of it. He wasn't very happy with me when I pulled the nails out of the boards to put the away.

And this was our finished project. Perfect? Haha no. But It does the job and gives our little bunnies plenty of room to run around. We ended up saving about 120 dollars and it came out to be twice the size as the one we were looking at online. The bunnies were so happy to be out of the vacuum box and into a real bunny house.

Don't my kids do a great "Ta Da"? haha

1 comment:

Spencer and Mindy said...

oh seriously you guys are so handy! way to go! we really need to have a playdate or treats night or something... hope you guys are doing good.. can i just say that i can not wait for this semester to be over!? you?