Before we moved out to Virginia dad told me he had a conference in DC every February. So we had our first visitors scheduled before we even had a place to live. When I tearfully hugged my mom goodbye in the Golden Corral parking lot before I boarded a flight to leave the only state I had called home she said "It's only 3 months. I will see you soon!" And although it didn't feel soon enough, the day finally came. We scored a tender mercy and had beautiful weather the entire time they were at our house. (Until we drove them back to DC, then it snowed the entire way)
The whole time they were here I was reminded how much happier life is when it is full with people you love. The time went by way too quickly but I did manage to take a million pictures. Someday I will learn how to stretch moments into days with this camera of mine.
We walked along the James River Saturday. The river was really high and muddy and the beautiful greenery that lined the paths last time Chris and I walked them was dead and gone. The sun was shining however, and we all enjoyed soaking up some Vitamin D.
We were lucky to have Jenny come too, although I tried to convince her to spread out the visits and come a month later. If I could convince all my family to just take a week life would be great!
Kaden Taycee and Grandma stopped on every bench for just a minute to feel the sun on their face.
We stopped at one of the iron mills where they built the cannons for the war. This awesome lady was an actor pretending to be a factory worker making bullet charges. She had a whole back story and even spoke with an irish accent. The kids thought she was fabulous and she taught them how to pack a charge.
Sunday after church we made Kebobs.
They were amazingly good, as always. It was our first grill of the year.
The kids favorite new game is headbandz, Sunday night we played a few rounds.
Tuesday Chris and I drove mom and Jenny back to DC to meet up with dad. They were kind enough to offer to watch the kids while Chris and I attended an endowment session at the DC temple. Because of the snow traffic was a nightmare and we arrived an hour later than planned. We felt bad leaving everyone in the car for another 2 hours while we did a session but they insisted it would be ok. It has been a few months since we have been able to go to the temple between the distance and lack of babysitters. It was amazing to sit and soak in the sweet spirit that can only be attained within the temple walls. I was reminded of the importance temple attendance holds to keep my cup spiritually full.
After the temple we went downtown and met up with Mckell and her cute kids. We decided to go the the Natural History Museum.
Kaden and Taycee thought the animals were awesome. Booster thought the whole thing was rather dull and wanted to run and play hide and seek the entire time. Next time we will leave her home. :)
We stayed til the museum closed and I was forced to say goodbye. Some day I hope visitors can come and when they leave I won't ugly cry. Today wasn't that day.
When dad hugged me he said "we're not that far away." Uh yeah dad you are, pretty much as far away as you could be and still remain in the same country. *sigh* Facetime is a wonderful thing. I am grateful for new opportunities and chances to grow. But I will forever be most grateful for the people who built my "home".

















.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment