It has been a very BUSY and very PRODUCTIVE Saturday. Awhile back Chris and I invested in this...
Ever since then I have been busy buying things to fill it up. We are not use to having any extra freezer space. It's nice. I recommend it. My mom has made freezer meals from time to time so I decided we were in need of a "girls day" and informed my mom and sisters they were all going to be at my moms house on the 7th of November for a freezer meal party. And a party it was.
We started at 7:00 am... ok my mom started then, I really started about 7:30. The first item on the list was Browning all the hamburger and cooking all the chicken. My mom has about 20 freezer meal recipes but we decided just to do our favorite 10 (which actually became 11) and do multiples of each meal. We browned about 20 lbs of hamburger and cooked and diced 5 bags of chicken (which wasn't even enough).
We started at 7:00 am... ok my mom started then, I really started about 7:30. The first item on the list was Browning all the hamburger and cooking all the chicken. My mom has about 20 freezer meal recipes but we decided just to do our favorite 10 (which actually became 11) and do multiples of each meal. We browned about 20 lbs of hamburger and cooked and diced 5 bags of chicken (which wasn't even enough).
Don't judge the our appearances in the next series of photos. It wasn't a "get ready day" it was a "who cares what you look like we have 40 dinners to make" day.
Next we started in on dicing and peeling the onions needed for recipes. We had a slight crying party for the next 20 min. and anyone who walked in the kitchen for a few hours afterward got a bit teary eyed.
We had fun.
Mom can't be mad for me putting this up. I told her to smile... she did this.
We put each meal in a gallon freezer baggie (expect the lasagna) and label it with the name of the meal and cooking directions.

I may or may not have dropped a plate of chicken enchilada filling on the ground.
Ok I did.

We put each meal in a gallon freezer baggie (expect the lasagna) and label it with the name of the meal and cooking directions.
I may or may not have dropped a plate of chicken enchilada filling on the ground.
But the end result looked a little something like this.... (times 2)

Here is a list of our end product
Here is a list of our end product
Chicken Divan (3 Dinners)
Chicken Rice Casserole ( 3 Dinners)
Chicken Pockets (3 Dinners)
Sweet and Sour Chicken (3 Dinners)
Chicken Enchiladas ( 4 Dinners)
Stuffed Manicotti (3 Dinners)
Ham Rolls (4 Dinners)
Lasagna ( 7 Dinners)
Beef Ravioli ( 3 Dinners)
Sloppy Joes ( 3 Dinners)
Meatballs ( 3 Dinners)
39 dinners total.... if you are wondering how much the groceries cost I spent $210 dollars for all the ingredients and actually had a lot of some stuff left over. However I was short on Chicken and a few other things so all in all I think 210 is a fair amount to say. Which means that each meal cost $5.38. Not bad if you ask me. The other great thing is these are LARGE meals and will easily last my family of four 2 nights.
We finished making all the meals about 3 o'clock so it took us about 8 hours and we didn't stop for any breaks.
I came home with a car full of yummy yummy food. Put it in the freezer. Kissed my husband and kids hello, changed my shoes, kissed my husband and kids goodbye and headed back out the door to go teach dance. I am now returning back home, and need to wind down from dancing. I figured blogging is a good way to do that.
So that was my busy busy Saturday... how was yours?
No comments:
Post a Comment