Lots of people have asked "How is Virginia?" and to be honest my answers vary depending on how the day has been going. I would be lying if I said I wasn't homesick. I miss my friends, I miss my family, I miss familiarity. But as the sweet lady behind me in church said after I gave a talk and mentioned leaving all of our families back in Utah, "But sweetie, you have the very most important part of your family right here with you." And so I do.
I will be eternally grateful for this most important part of my family. We went out for lunch on MLK day. It was the first time we have ever attempted to take all four kids out to a sit down restaurant. Much to our surprise they all did fabulously and we had a very enjoyable experience. As we sat and talked and ate my heart was bursting with love for the sweet little people that I get to call mine. They are smart, and curious, and just darn hilarious. They keep me busy and they keep life full. And the best part is I get to do it all with my very best friend.
Oh how I love this man of mine. Anywhere he is is home for me.
He is the one who can calm my fears and talk me down off the I am going crazy ledge. No matter the problem he is there with a reassuring hug and a calming "It's going to be fine." He has been with me from "My roommate just got married at the courthouse and moved her husband into her room!" to "Addison's poop is greener than grass and Brielle hasn't pooped in days!" He is my sounding board, and my picture hanger. He is my kindest judge and my fiercest cheerleader. He makes me better.
There is something simply beautiful in the way we just fit. He is the grounded to my crazy and the gathered to my scattered. If the last 6 months have taught me anything it is that we are stronger together. Life can be challenging, there is no two ways around that, but it always seems more surmountable when we face it hand in hand.
So here is to the husband who got up 3 hours before me on Saturday to clean the house and start the laundry before I woke up "just because". The daddy who makes my girls squeal with glee when he walks in the door from work. The guy who still makes my stomach flip and my cheeks blush. The dad who knows answers to little boys questions like "what is the slowest growing thing on the earth and why are flamingos pink?" The man who fulfills all of his responsibilities for work, church and family without a word of complaint. The nintendo guy who can beat Bowser every time. The door knob fastener, picture leveler, paint taper, propane tank filler, do it all-er guy we could never do without. YOU are the best part of Virginia, and as long as I am here with you it's going to be just fine.
Here is to surmounting the newest adventure with all of the most important people by my side. I wouldn't have it any other way.






No comments:
Post a Comment