Sunday, May 27, 2012

When I grow up

It is 1:30 am and I can not sleep because my head is full of thoughts. My husband is snoring next to me, my 2 oldest children are in the basement snuggling grandma and grandpa, and my tiny one finally gave up the fight and looks like an angel sleeping in her crib. I thought that taking a hot shower would relax me and help with the transition into dream land but instead I am now sitting in bed blogging with a towel wrapped around my wet hair.

My hope is that by expelling my thoughts into cyber space I will be able to A) empty my mind (a little, Heaven knows I can never empty it completely) and B) let my hair dry enough that I do not have to use a blow dryer and wake up the 9 sleeping people in my home. So it seems I will break up the monotony of "mommy" posts that occupy the majority of my little slice of the world wide web, and instead give you ( all 3 people who still read this blog. ha.) a little insight into the crazy tidal wave of thoughts that plague my mind when I should be catching up on some REM.

As I was showering I was thinking of all the things on my never ending "to-do" list. Singing time ideas for tomorrow, well today actually, I wondered if they wanted the kids to sing on Fathers day, I tried to plan how I would teach the second verse of the baptism song and teach Fathers day songs as well. I push that to the back of my mind and moved on to the next thing, preparations for Kadens upcoming birthday party. I still haven't received a package that I ordered weeks ago. It contains crucial items for the bug themed party. What will I do if they don't come? Will the party be a failure? Maybe I should have gone with a different theme. But he loves bugs, he requested bugs, he is my bug, that is the only thing I ever call him these days. Bug. I hope he likes the party. I wonder what he wants most for his birthday..... then this thought....

"I want to be a firefighter"

That is what I hear from Kaden's lips daily. When he grows up he wants to be a firefighter. He wants to wear the red hat and ride in the truck and squirt the fires. Will he truly grow up to be a firefighter? Who knows, but for now that is what he wants to be and he eats his vegetables and takes his naps every day so
he can grow up to be a firefighter.

I don't remember what I wanted to be when I was little. I don't remember having a big dream or big plans, but I am sure that I too wanted to be something when I grew up.

I am grown up now, or more grown up anyway and I still wonder if I am who I want to be. I am not talking about what I would like to be able to do, but who I want to become.

I wish I was an incredible writer, one who could express her thoughts and feelings eloquently and really speak to peoples soul. I wish a was a talented singer and  could sing along side brilliant people whose  music  has inspired me. I want to be a gifted piano player and play complex music with little effort. I want to be able to sew clothes for my children. I want to be able to create beautiful things that others admire. There are many things I want to be able to do, talents I wish to posses, but that really has little to do with who I want to become.

I want to be a kind person, a good neighbor, and a loyal friend. I want to be present with my children. I want to be a mother who listens and teaches. I want to be forgiving and teachable.  I want to be humble and filled with charity. I want to be selfless. I want to be a person of truth and light. I want to be a tool in my Heavenly Fathers hands. I want to be not only a hearer of the word but a doer. I want to be an example of service. I want to be a better wife. I want to be dependable and hard-working. I want to be a means of bringing the gospel to those in need.... so many many things I want to be.

I found myself pleading with the Lord to help me be more like the person I want to be and then I remembered this beautiful quote from Elder Richard G Scott


 "We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day."


So simple and yet to me so profound.


And so I have decided that tomorrow I will be a little kinder. I will be more present with my kids. I will try to emulate Christ a little more in my life. I will seek out those who haven't tasted the sweetness of the gospel. I will have more charity in my heart. I will be a good friend and find ways to serve. I will strive to be a doer of the word. 


I will never be a brilliant writer or singer or posses any great amount of talent but  maybe by the end of tomorrow I will be a little closer to the person I want to become. And that would be good enough for me.

2 comments:

Spencer and Mindy said...

FYI: i think your an amazing writer (and photographer)...i love reading your lil snippets of thought and love seeing all the great pics of your super cute kiddos! Love Love that quote by the way. thanks for sharing.. makes me want to daydream about when i was young...what did i want to be?!

Heather said...

YOU are what I want to be when I grow up. You're super talented, SUPER smart, super BEAUTIFUL, a super mom, and much more. I admire you so much, sis!