HOWEVER, I am not one to make judgement on things before I try them... especially things that are SUPER SUPER healthy. So I ventured to the grocery store to pick up some spinach, and Kale, and Chard. I threw in some frozen fruit and a banana and WHALA.... this is what I got...
When I handed Chris his cup he said "SERIOUSLY? It looks like puke." But folks I am here to tell you, it's actually quite tasty :D Once you hear how healthy it is I think you might like to try it too.Here is a blurb off Mckell's blog on the "healthiness" (is that a word) of the Green Smoothie
Kale helps to release toxins from the body and also helps with regular weight loss. Spinach has tons of healthy protein. All three have amazing amounts of vitamins minerals, fiber... they are a power house of everything a body needs. By blending the greens it helps to unlock all the nutrients so our bodies can easily digest and make use of all the good stuff.
And best of all.... my kids love it. Not many kids eat spinach and Kale and Chard, so the fact that I can get them to drink 16 oz of it in one sitting is fine by me.


Here is the basics
Fill your blender up with a mixture of kale, chard and spinach, add some liquid in the bottom ( water is fine... my kids prefer V8 splash)
Blend it all up till its nice and runny
Add in a few more greens and whatever fruit you like to sweeten up the taste. (Fresh fruit has a stronger taste than frozen fruit but either works)
Fill to the top with ice and blend it all up....
there really is no strict recipe my cousin likes lime juice in hers and there is no set amount to the portions, just be creative.
There are about 15 servings of fruits and vegetables in ONE quart. Can't beat that.
SO GO TRY IT... just do it.

5 comments:
I have never heard of Kale or chard before, but I fix my kids "monster green smoothies" ALL THE TIME! My little 3 year old will drink about 12 ounces of the stuff! I just used fresh fruit, a little bit of juice, low-fat vanilla yogurt, and TONS of Raw spinach! Agreed...it is a nasty color, but tastes great, and my kids think it looks cool! Where do you get Kale and Chard from? I don't even know what to look for!
I've totally done this before! I actually just had another one a few days ago, except I don't put chard of kale in there, I just throw a bunch of veggies in there like celery, beats, carrots, etc with a little fruit to sweeten it. And I was actually thinking about blogging about it!! Ha ha guess you beat me to the punch, but I might still do it.
Yay! You've been converted! I'm glad you like the green smoothie! Word of warning: don't try adding watermelon. Actually I think it was the watermelon, carrot juice mixture... eww. :)
i actually really want to try this! i can't get sophee to eat ANYTHING! so it would be great if she could get some healthy food in that belly of hers!
I CANNOT believe how big your kids are getting...tear!!! Taycee is all grown up and so is Kaden! Feels like we haven't seen you guys in forever! We miss you too!
BTW I think we will definately be trying that "green smoothie"!
Post a Comment