Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bears

You know those things your mom did growing up that no one else did? That special thing that she did just for you? Well one of my mom's "things" was rice crispy bears. Every year on my birthday which also happened to be valentines day, my mom would make trays of rice crispy bears and bring them to my class for me to share with all of my friends.

And so when the note came home that Kaden needed to bring treats to his class for Valentines day I saw an opportunity to carry on that fun tradition. I called my mom up and asked to borrow the mold for these little guys...
What I didn't realize as a child was how much work these little bears were. Two batches of rice krispy's a couple hours and an empty bowl later....
I had 24 perfectly formed bears complete with chocolate chip eyes, a red hot nose and a heart belly button.
I felt like it was some sort of right of passage. Like by making these bears I had become a true mom . ( Like 3 babies, thousands of diapers and many sleepless nights hadn't done that.)

I wrapped them up, tied on their tags which said "I am beary glad you're my friend" and Kaden signed each one. Then we packed them up in a box and they were delivered to 12 preschoolers the next day.
I made a mental note afterwards to tell my mom thank you for the many hours she had spent making my bears over the years. :)

No comments: