Tuesday, July 15, 2014

36

To the Boost,

   You turned 3. Somehow you went from this


 To This

And though my head knows that to be true, my heart just can't wrap itself around the idea. Somewhere in my heart you will always be the tiny 5 lb baby that needed me so desperately.

 Every time I look at the pictures from your first weeks of life I am reminded of what a fighter you are. We have a saying that hangs on our fridge, "I can do hard things". I have a feeling that will be a sentiment that will always resonate deep within you for you have been doing hard things from the moment you were born.

From breathing, to crawling to walking and now talking everything has come a little slower with an extra amount of effort. But eventually you conquer each hurdle.

The 2 year old version of yourself was so calm and most of the time obedient. Then we yanked you out of your home, moved you into grandmas for a couple of months without your daddy and then took you across the country to all things unfamiliar, including a brand new room and bunk bed with Taycee. I think it was just more than your little 2 year old self could handle and we're still trying to help you adjust.  You cry most nights until someone comes to snuggle you and have taken up residence on the couch in our bedroom. You love mommy but you adore daddy.

 Talking has been a hard thing for you to master. I was recently talking to a speech therapist who explained that it probably has to do with your low muscle tone. You rolled, sat, crawled and walked later than most babies because you just didn't have the muscle tone to support your body. And now you just don't have the muscle tone in your tongue/mouth/jaw to form letters and sounds in the correct way. Which makes talking a very frustrating thing for you.

You follow your older siblings around and want to be doing anything they are doing. They are usually happy to oblige and you spend much of your day at their heels. I can't however leave you alone in a room with Brielle. As I was cooking dinner a few nights ago I heard Brie crying and turned around to find you sitting on her back playing the drums on her head. If she survives you she will survive anything.

We have tried potty training you twice and both attempts failed miserably. I have since gotten over my "has to be potty trained by 3" mentality and am just waiting til you are ready. I have accepted that you have your own time line for things and that eventually you will decide diapers aren't all that great.

You are a very determined child. Some days you have me ready to crawl in to bed the moment daddy walks in the door. You and the "naughty spot" are frequent friends, but you are always quick with an "all done, sorry mama" You are trying to navigate life, freedom, communication, and boundaries and I am doing my best to help, but sometimes baby girl we just sit and cry together.


Your 10 favorite things in life are

1. Dora
2. Elmo
3. The Puppy
4. Jooooos (Juice)
5. Daddy
6. "Ow-Shide" (Outside)
7. Books
8. Pools
9. Granola Bars
10. Blankie


Your LEAST favorite things are
1. "No"
2. Bedtime
3. The naughty spot (second stair)
4. Performing anything on command
5. Coming inside from "ow-shide"

You are ever full of energy and spunk, and I am so grateful you are mine. Happy 36th month little Boost.

xoxo-

Mom

We didn't do much on your actual birthday because your party was two days later. But we did let you open a new Dora outfit and take you out for ice cream. 


No comments: