Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Whole 30 in review

I am now 2 weeks post whole 30. Here are a few of my thoughts...

Am I glad I did it? Yes. Would I do it again? Probably not.

It was something I had been wanted to do for over a year and I am glad I finally did it. I think it is a great way to become more aware of the types of food you are putting into your body. I loved knowing that every bite I was taking was a healthy choice. I found some new recipes and ways of cooking that I can implement into my every day. But it wasn't everything I hoped it would be. 

I'll start with the Pros: 

My family was eating healthier. My kids were consuming veggies at every meal.
I never felt weighed down my a meal
My tastes were quickly reset, things had more flavor, fruit was sweeter
By the end it was fairly easy turn down sweets

Did I lose weight? Yes, about 10 lbs. (Chris lost 15) I wasn't trying to lose weight though so that wasn't a big pro to me. 

Cons:
It was impossible to stay within our regular food budget.
I felt like I was cooking ALL THE TIME. I spent at least an extra 1-2 hour a day in the kitchen.
I felt extra tired. I kept waiting for the promised boost of energy but it never came.

I think for a person who has a really strong food addiction or a very strong food aversion this would be a fantastic thing to do. For me I feel like I ate fairly healthy, and my body handles most food pretty well. To be honest I didn't feel a much different health or energy wise through the whole30 than I did before I started. If anything I gained an unhealthy obsession with food. I was constantly thinking about what I would was eating next and obsessing over what was and wasn't okay to eat. There were several times I wanted to yell "YOUR NOT THE BOSS OF ME WHOLE 30" (read also: I don't do well with being told what to do)

Should you try it? Sure, if you want to. If you feel like you are in need of a healthy kick start to eating I think this great. If you are wanting to kick a sugar addiction definitely do this! 

I probably won't be doing a Whole30 again. I could see myself doing a whole10 especially after the holiday months when I am in need of a junk food intervention and want a solid jump start back to good food.

I believe in healthy eating. I believe your body functions better when you are putting good things into it. I don't think sugar is one of those good things. I also believe in moderation. 

So while the whole30 wasn't exactly my jam I will still be eating my veggies and cooking with healthy fats and cutting out needless sugars. I just might be doing it with a side of toast.... and maybe a cookie. :D 

No comments: